These chocolate cups make such a delicious snack or dessert. You only need 2 ingredients to make them and no baking needed!
I'm always looking for an excuse to NOT turn on my oven, and this is one of my favorite snacks/desserts to make on my lazier days (i.e. everyday).
They're perfect for any season, but this recipe comes in ESPECIALLY handy during the hotter summer days when you really don't want to have your oven on!
Chocolate cups ingredients:
These chocolate cups are so amazingly easy because you only need 2 ingredients: Rice Krispies cereal and chocolate!
How to make no-bake chocolate cups:
Keeping with the theme of "easy" for this recipe, these chocolate cups come together with a few easy steps and a few minutes!
1. Melt your chocolate. You can do this in the microwave or over a double broiler. (More on melting below)
2. Add your Rice Krispies cereal to the chocolate. Mix together to coat the cereal in the melted chocolate.
3. Portion out into muffin tins lined with paper liners and chill. I recommend you fill your muffin tin no higher than halfway up the sides. Once chilled, it can be a bit difficult to eat if the chocolate is too thick.
What chocolate to use for these chocolate cups:
Whenever you're working with chocolate that needs to be melted, I really recommend sticking to a Baker's or couverture chocolate. As a quick rundown, this is a high quality chocolate that melts more smoothly and has a much nicer texture and taste. Since this recipe only uses 2 ingredients, it's important to use some good chocolate for the job!
Regular chocolate chips don't melt as smoothly. You'll always have a grainy texture, and not quite as much shine and smoothness.
If you're interested in some more info, The Spruce Eats has a really handy post that goes into detail about what couverture chocolate is and why it melts so nicely!
How to melt your chocolate:
Chocolate can be a bit finicky when it comes to melting. If over-heated, your chocolate can clump and seize up. So it's important to heat it gently and gradually! You have two options when it comes to melting your chocolate: a double broiler (or bain-marie) or the microwave.
To melt your chocolate on your stove-top using a double broiler, place a pot of water filled with about 1 inch of water. Heat the water until it's steamy but not boiling. Add your chopped chocolate to a heat safe bowl and place over the pot. Make sure to use a bowl that sits comfortably on the pot and the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Heat your chocolate, stirring constantly, until fully melted.
To melt in the microwave, place your chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat your chocolate on high for 1 minute. Take the bowl out and stir the chocolate. If not fully melted yet, heat in the microwave in 20 second intervals, pausing and stirring in between each burst, until fully melted.
How to store your chocolate cups:
Unless you temper your chocolate, melted chocolate will not set up at room temperature again. When chocolate is melted normally, it breaks up the cocoa fat, causing it to separate. Tempering involves carefully heating, cooling, then reheating your chocolate to prevent the cocoa fat solids from breaking.
That's not necessary here (unless you wanted to store you chocolate cups at room temperature). Melted chocolate will set up again if refrigerated, so just be sure to keep your cups in the fridge until you're ready to enjoy them. After they firm up, I like to transfer them to a plastic bag or airtight container to preserve freshness.
These cups keep for up to 1 week in the fridge.
If you liked these chocolate cups, you may also like these other no bake desserts!
2 Ingredient Crunchy Chocolate Cups
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped * see notes
- Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add your chocolate to a heat safe bowl. Place the bowl of chocolate over a pot of barely simmering water (making sure not to have the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Heat the chocolate, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is fully melted (about 2 minutes). Microwave Instructions: Microwave your chocolate on high for 1 minute. Take your bowl out of the microwave and stir the chocolate. Microwave in 20 second intervals, mixing in between each burst, until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Add your Rice Krispies cereal to the melted chocolate. Stir to coat the cereal fully in chocolate. Portion out your chocolate cereal mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup around halfway high. Lightly press down each cup to pack in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until solid (about 1 hour in the fridge or 30 minutes in the freezer).