These lasagna rolls look and taste like they just came from an Italian restaurant! They're ultra saucy, cheesy, and delicious! You can make these rolls with either store-bought sauce or make your own marinara sauce.
Is it just me, or do foods taste better when they're in individualized portions? Examples: muffins, cupcakes, and lasagna rolls!
Lasagna rolls are a simpler take on classic lasagna. They're much easier to portion (because they already are portioned), they bake up faster, and they freeze/reheat amazingly.
This is one of those recipes that everyone just seems to love!
Lasagna rolls ingredients:
I wanted to make this recipe ultra simple! So it only features a small handful of ingredients (mostly cheese!), and it uses store-bought marinara sauce. But if you're up for it, making your own homemade marinara sauce is incredibly easy, and much more customizable than the jarred stuff!
To make these lasagna rolls, you will need:
• lasagna noodles: it's a secret ingredient
• mozzarella cheese: and lots of it!
• ricotta cheese
• Parmesan cheese: Pecorino Romano works well here too
• egg: to help the filling set
• marinara sauce: you can make your own or use store-bought to save on time!
How to make lasagna rolls:
1. Cook lasagna. Rinse well to keep them from sticking!
2. Make cheese filling. Combine 3 cheeses and egg. Mix until incorporated.
3. Shape the rolls. Lay a few sheets of lasagna flat on your work surface. Spread about a ¼ cup of the cheese mixture onto the lasagna, followed by a thin line of marinara sauce (about 1 tablespoon). Roll. Repeat with all the lasagna sheets.
4. Arrange on your baking dish. Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom. Place the rolls in your baking dish and top with the remaining marinara sauce and cheese.
5. Bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and melted!
How to reheat lasagna rolls:
I know there's a lot of hate when it comes to leftover lasagna, but I actually find lasagna can taste just as good as new when it's reheated properly! The best ways to reheat lasagna rolls are either in the oven or on your stovetop.
To reheat lasagna rolls in the oven, preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the rolls in a baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes, or until warmed all the way through.
To reheat lasagna rolls on your stovetop, arrange your leftover rolls in one layer on the bottom of the skillet. Cover the lasagna with enough water to go about ¼ of the way up the rolls. Place over medium heat and bring the water up to a simmer, cover, and simmer on low for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.
How to freeze lasagna rolls:
The best time to freeze lasagna is before baking it! Baking then freezing lasagna can cause texture and flavor problems.
To freeze unbaked lasagna rolls, the prep remains the same (but I would suggest you slightly under bake your lasagna noodles by about 1 or 2 minutes - they tend to soften slightly when thawing). Assemble the noodles in a baking dish that's both freezer and oven safe.
Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and another layer of aluminum foil (to prevent freezer burn). Freeze for up to 2 to 3 months.
Thaw the lasagna rolls completely (either in the fridge overnight or on your counter for a few hours) and bring it up to room temperature before baking. Bake normally.
Serve these lasagna rolls with:
• chicken with white wine sauce
• braided garlic bread
• lemon and garlic baked salmon
• soft dinner rolls
• garlic green beans
If you liked this recipe, check out some of these other pasta recipes!
• penne alla vodka
• classic beef lasagna
• tomato & mushroom spaghetti
• fettuccini alfredo
Cheesy Lasagna Rolls Recipe
- 8 lasagna sheets
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 & ½ cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Cook the lasagna noodles: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse very well with cold water to prevent having the noodles stick together. Set aside.Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Make the cheese filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, and your egg. Stir to combine.
- Assemble the lasagna rolls: Lay the cooked lasagna noodles flat on a work surface. Spread about ¼ cup of the cheese filling onto the top of the noodle. Spread a small strip of marinara sauce down the center of the noodle (about 1 tablespoon). Roll lasagna up and repeat until all of the lasagna is used up.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish by spreading about ½ a cup of marinara sauce onto the bottom. Arrange your filled and rolled lasagna noodles in the baking dish, and top with the remaining marinara sauce. Evenly sprinkle the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake (covered) in the center of your preheated 350°F for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown.
Leave a Comment