These homemade oat bars make the perfect breakfast on the go, or just a sweet pick-me-up snack to enjoy any time in the day! These bars are incredibly chewy and have a stick to your mouth quality (like toffee)!
I've been meaning to make an oat bar recipe for ages now, and we've finally got one!! This is the recipe I've been making for yeaaaars, and it has never failed me yet!
Chocolate chips are my favorite mix in to add to oat bars, but you can add any of your favorite additions! This recipe can handle up to 1 cup of mix ins, without compromising its ability to stick together. So get creative!
Chocolate chip oat bars ingredients:
• oats: use rolled oats (also called old-fashioned oats). These oats are the ideal size and shape for baking and for absorbing the honey mixture!
• honey: it adds flavor, and it's also the main binder for the recipe to keep your bars from crumbling into a mess!
• butter: adds flavor and helps the bars set up
• brown sugar: also helps the bars set and adds a caramelized flavor!
• salt: salt is always an important addition to any sweet recipe, but it's especially important here! Because honey is the main binder in this recipe, we can't skimp on it! Soooo we need a healthy pinch of salt to keep these bars from being overly sweet.
• chocolate chips: I used mini chips (literally just because they're cuter!) but you can use regular sized chocolate chips. You could even add your own favorite mix-ins!
How to make chocolate chip oat bars:
1. Toast oats. There won't be a significant change in color, just a very light browning. Set aside to cool slightly while you prep the wet ingredients.
2. Cook wet ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
3. Combine oats & wet ingredients. Mix until it starts to stick together. Add chocolate chips and any mix-ins you like. The chocolate will melt slightly, but that's normal. Just try to work relatively quickly and don't mix it too, too much.
4. Press into a square pan. Use a spatula, the bottom of a cup, or your hands to press the mixture into a 9x9 inch pan (you can also use an 8x8 inch pan if you like thicker bars). Sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top and gently press them in as well. Chill completely before slicing!
Chocolate chip oat bar storage:
The texture of these oat bars does change depending on how you choose to store them. If you like your bars on the soft and chewy side of things, keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you like firmer bars, keep them stored in the fridge (again, in an airtight container).
These bars will keep for about 1 week at room temperature or 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Check out these other recipes!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oat Bars Recipe
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup natural honey
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar, light or dark both work fine here
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced into 5 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Spread your oats into an even layer on a medium sized baking sheet. Bake in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, pausing halfway to toss the oats. They won't look significantly different, but they'll have just started to brown along the edges. Transfer the oats to a large bowl, and set aside while you work on the wet ingredients.
- For the wet ingredients, combine honey, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a medium sized saucepan. Place over medium-high heat, and heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture boils. Boil for about 1 minute, then set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add the honey mixture to the oats (they'll both probably still be hot, but that's fine!) Mix together until combined.
- Add your chocolate chips to the oat mixture, and stir to evenly distribute. Some of the chocolate chips will melt, but that's normal!
- Pour the oat mixture into your parchment lined square pan. Using a spoon, cup, or your hands, press the mixture into the pan until packed together. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top, and gently press into the oat mixture.
- Chill the oat bar mix in the fridge for 1 hour, or until firm enough to slice. Slice and serve!