Delicious Spinach Lentil Soup!
This is the best fall soup recipe I could ask for! It’s a vegetable packed, flavorful, healthy, and hearty soup! And bonus: it’s also vegetarian and vegan.
Pin this for later!
A quick shout-out to my lovely mom for letting me
steal borrow her DELICIOUS spinach and lentil soup recipe to share with you all. (Thank you mom!)
Cold fall days were made for hearty, veggie based soups like this!
Spinach lentil soup ingredients:
• olive oil
• yellow onion
• coriander: Use dried, ground coriander
• carrots: Add delicious flavor and beautiful color!
• brown lentils: This recipe calls for dried lentils. I really do recommend using the dried variety because, as they cook, the starch they release helps thicken the soup
• water: You can use vegetable stock in place of the water, but I find the soup is jam packed with flavor with or without it
• spinach: I like to add the spinach halfway through the cook time so it keeps some of it’s shape and freshness, but wilts to perfection!
• lemon juice: This is optional but I love the pop of freshness and tang it adds to the soup! If you do add some lemon, it is entirely up to you how much you use. If you want to keep the soup vegan, make sure the lemon you use isn’t waxed with anything animal based
Spinach lentil soup storage:
This lentil soup makes a fantastic make ahead meal. And when it sits, it even tastes better and better as the flavors have a chance to mingle!
This soup will keep for around 5 days in the fridge, stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze this soup in a freezer safe airtight container for up to 1 month!
If you liked this spinach lentil soup, you may also like some of these other recipes:
Spinach Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained * see notes
- 6 cups water ** see notes
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach, washed and drained *** see notes
- lemon juice (optional)
- In a large pot, combine your olive oil, diced onion, and salt. Place the pot over medium-low heat and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onion turns translucent and browns slightly. **** see notes
- Add the coriander and garlic to the pot, and cook for another minute or so. This is just to slightly toast the garlic and coriander.
- Add the carrots, lentils, and water to the pot. Raise your heat to high and bring the soup up to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 15 minutes. Add the spinach and continue simmering for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through and the vegetables are softened.
- If you find the soup is too thick, add a splash of water to thin your soup to your liking. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. (Optional) Add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end to brighten up the soup!