This edible chocolate chip cookie dough is a safe way to enjoy the taste of cookie dough. Keeping with the classic flavors of chocolate chip cookies, but with the crumbly and chewy texture of plain dough.
Forget licking the spoon after making some cookie dough, make a whole BOWL of cookie dough to enjoy!
Not only is this recipe great for when you're looking for a generous amount of raw cookie dough to enjoy, it's also safe to eat (vs regular cookie dough) because it doesn't use eggs and the flour is baked to kill any bacteria in it!
This edible cookie dough is courtesy of my eggless cookie dough recipe! The main changes I've made involve leaving out the baking soda and cornstarch (not needed here since we're not baking the dough), and the flour needed some baking to make it safe to eat.
Edible cookie dough ingredients:
This edible chocolate chip cookie dough uses almost all of the classic ingredients found in regular chocolate chip cookies. The main ingredients missing here are baking soda and eggs.
The ingredients used are:
• flour: for body and structure. The flour is quickly baked to kill any harmful bacteria
• butter: for flavor and texture
• brown sugar: for a classic chocolate chip cookie flavor
• powdered sugar: for sweetness. It also dissolves easier than granulated sugar.
• salt: to balance out the sugars
• vanilla extract: for flavor
• milk: to help get the right consistency for the final dough
• semi-sweet chocolate chips/chunks: for texture and flavor (completely optional though)
How to make flour safe to eat raw:
This recipe still uses flour, but we heat it to kill any harmful bacteria before adding it to the dough. So step number one involves baking your flour. Spread the flour out into an even layer on a large baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for around 7 minutes.
If you're using a small baking sheet, and your flour is spread out into a thicker layer, you may need to pause to mix the flour about halfway through to ensure even heating.
If at any point you see your flour begin to brown, take it out of the oven right away and transfer it to a heat safe bowl to stop the cooking process.
How to make homemade edible cookie dough:
Making safe to eat cookie dough only involves a few simple steps!
1. Bake your flour in a preheated 350°F oven for about 7 minutes to kill any bacteria. Cool completely to room temperature before adding it to your dough.
2. Cream together butter, and brown and powdered sugar until light and creamy.
3. Add in your salt, vanilla, and milk. Mix to combine.
4. Add your flour and chocolate (if using). Mix until your dough comes together.
How to store edible cookie dough:
You can choose to keep this cookie dough stored in the fridge or in the freezer!
To refrigerate, transfer your cookie dough to an airtight container and seal. This dough keeps for up to 5 days in the fridge. Serve cold or set out for a few minutes to come to room temperature if you like it warmer.
To freeze, transfer the cookie dough to an airtight, freezer safe container or freezer bag and seal well. This dough will keep for up to 3 months frozen. You can even enjoy the cookie dough frozen if you like! To defrost, set the dough out at room temperature for a few hours or in the fridge overnight, until defrosted.
How to use edible cookie dough:
Not only does edible cookie dough have a ton of different uses, you can even bake it to make a regular batch of cookies if you wanted to! Some of my favorite ways to enjoy raw cookie dough are cookie dough truffles, cookie dough dipped in chocolate, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (hello!), and crumbled on top of cakes, muffins, and brownies! It's even delicious plain on its own.
If you liked this edible cookie dough, you may also like these other cookie recipes!
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1 & ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pour your flour out onto a large, dry baking sheet. Spread the flour into an even layer. Bake the flour in your preheated 350°F oven for 7 to 10 minutes to cook out the harmful bacteria. * (see notes) Cool your flour completely before using.
- In a large bowl, combine your butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar together. Cream the butter and sugars together until the sugar is dissolved and your mixture is creamy and lightened in color. Add your salt, vanilla, and milk to the butter/sugar mix, and whip everything together until combined.
- Add in your cooled flour along with your chocolate (if using). Mix until your dough comes together. Serve right away, or refrigerate or freeze for later!