Step up your buttercream frosting game by adding a caffeinated kick! This coffee frosting pipes beautifully, and tastes like an airy and creamy cup of Joe!
Calling all coffee lovers!
You all have GOT to try this coffee infused buttercream frosting! The slight bitterness from the coffee mixed with the sweetness of vanilla buttercream frosting is an absolutely dreamy combination!
It’s incredibly easy to make and pairs well with a ton of different cakes, cupcakes, cookies, donuts, and more.
Espresso buttercream frosting ingredients:
espresso powder: the star of the show!
water: boiling water to dissolve the espresso powder, plus more cool water to thin out the frosting if needed
butter: you can’t spell buttercream without butter!
powdered sugar: for structure and sweetness. It may seem like a lot, but the bitterness from the coffee will dull the sweetness
vanilla extract: for added flavor!
ground coffee beans: you can add a touch of coffee grounds to the frosting for added texture, or leave it out if you prefer a smoother frosting without the speckles of coffee
Check out these other frosting recipes!
Espresso Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 to 2 teaspoons espresso powder, depending on your preference
- 2 teaspoons boiling water, plus more cool water as needed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely ground coffee beans, (optional) for texture
- In a small bowl, whisk together your espresso powder and boiling water to dissolve the coffee. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat together until smooth and pale in color (about 2 to 3 minutes with an electric mixer set to high speed).
- Add your vanilla extract, cooled espresso, and (if using) ground coffee beans to the butter mixture. Beat again until light and fluffy (another 2 to 3 minutes on high speed). If needed, add more cool water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you reach your preferred consistency.