The perfect healthy snack to munch on, roasted chickpeas are crispy, crunchy, and packed with nutrients! This roasted chickpea recipe uses Italian seasoning for an Italian flavor, as well as garlic and olive oil to season.
I could write a whole post about my love of chickpeas. Whether I'm making hummus, chickpea salad, falafel, or roasted chickpeas, a girl needs her chickpeas!
I don't want to get into too much detail about how much I love chickpeas. I could probably write a series of books on that. Sooo onto the topic at hand: how to make roasted chickpeas with Italian flavor!
Italian Roasted Chickpeas Ingredients:
• Chickpeas: You probably guessed this one. You can use either cooked canned chickpeas, or dry chickpeas that have been soaked and boiled.
• Olive oil: Just a touch to help the seasoning bind to the chickpeas and to help with browning. Too much olive oil can actually make your chickpeas soft and chewy. So a little really does go a long way here!
• Salt, garlic powder, & Italian seasoning: for seasoning
• Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (optional): Right out of the oven, I like to top my chickpeas with some freshly grated cheese to really drive home the Italian flavors!
How to roast chickpeas:
Whether you choose to use this recipe for the Italian seasoned roasted chickpeas, or your own combination of seasoning, the method is mostly the same!
1. Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Make sure that the chickpeas are drained well and pat dry with some paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
2. Transfer the chickpeas to a baking sheet. Line a very large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the chickpeas. The baking sheet should be large enough to fit all the chickpeas in one layer without having too many of them touch. This allows air to circulate which equals the crispiest roasted chickpeas!
3. Drizzle olive oil on top of the chickpeas, and add your spices. Toss the chickpeas to coat evenly. Spread your chickpeas into an even layer.
4. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Halfway through the bake time, go in and toss the chickpeas around with a spoon so they brown evenly.
How to store roasted chickpeas:
(Without the grated cheese) These roasted chickpeas will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature. I don't recommend storing roasted chickpeas in the fridge just because the moisture can cause the chickpeas to soften.
If you liked these Italian roasted chickpeas, check out some of these other recipes!
Italian Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can cooked chickpeas, or 1 & ½ cups cooked dried chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Rinse and drain your cooked chickpeas well. Pat dry with paper towels to remove moisture. Transfer your chickpeas to your baking sheet.
- Top the chickpeas with your olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Toss the chickpeas to coat in the seasoning.
- Spread the chickpeas into an even layer on your baking sheet, making sure the chickpeas aren't overlapping too much. Bake in your preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until slightly shrunken and golden brown.