These magic bars come together like... well, magic! All it involves is layering your ingredients and pouring sweetened condensed milk overtop to hold everything together. It could not be any easier to make and yields super chewy and gooey bars!
the magic in magic bars
My jaw literally dropped when I discovered this recipe and it's been living on the floor ever since I tried it. These bars are SO GOOD and literally magic.
What makes these bars so magical is how they're made. You pack a graham cracker crust into the bottom of your baking pan, sprinkle over your filling components, and drizzle sweetened condensed milk on top.
The result is a slightly crumbly but still sturdy bar that's deliciously soft and sticky when it's warm. It's packed with a whole lot of texture and flavor!
• graham cracker crumbs: a graham cracker crust on the bottom of magic bars is most traditional, but there are also recipes that swap out the graham crackers for crushed up pretzels and it looks ah-may-zing!
• butter: to hold together the bottom crust.
• chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use dark for a deeper flavor, or milk or white chocolate chips for a sweeter flavor! Caramel chips would also taste amazing, or a combination of different chips. I also like to sprinkle some more chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips on top after baking for a prettier and melty top.
• shredded coconut: make sure to use unsweetened or it could throw off the sweetness of the bars!
• nuts: I used pecans because they're my favorite, but you can use any nuts you like! Some options include peanuts, walnuts, almonds, or pistachios.
• sweetened condensed milk: the key to all the magic! This is what sticks the filling together!
how to make ooey gooey magic bars
1. Mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Pack into the bottom of a parchment lined baking pan.
2. Sprinkle filling ingredients over crust (minus the sweetened condensed milk). If needed, move them around to get them into an even layer.
3. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over everything. Use a fork to gently push the filling around so the condensed milk sinks down into the cracks.
4. Bake until golden brown along the edges. The center will look slightly pale but the edges should be browned. (Optional) while it's still warm, sprinkle over more plain chocolate chips and/or some mini chocolate chips if desired.
5. Cool in the pan before slicing. Enjoy!
how to serve magic bars
You can serve these bars warm (which is my preference because they're extra gooey) or room temperature for a sturdier bar. Keep in mind if you want to serve them warm, they'll be a lot softer and a bit more difficult to slice.
magic bars storage
Keep the bars stored in an airtight container. If you plan on stacking the bars, place a piece of parchment paper between each layer so they don't stick together.
These bars will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature or 1 week in the fridge. If storing in the fridge, I recommend setting the bars out at room temperature to warm up slightly before serving for a better texture.
Check out these other recipes!
Ooey Gooey Magic Bars Recipe
- 1 & ¾ cups (185g) graham cracker crumbs
- 10 tablespoons (175g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 & ½ cups (375g) semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top if desired
- 1 & ½ cups (105g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (100g) chopped pecans, or your choice of nuts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a bit of paper overhang on the sides to make it easier to pull the bars out later. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and butter to combine.1 & ¾ cups (185g) graham cracker crumbs, 10 tablespoons (175g) unsalted butter,
- Pack the graham cracker crust mixture into the bottom of your baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans evenly on top.2 & ½ cups (375g) semi-sweet chocolate chips,, 1 & ½ cups (105g) unsweetened shredded coconut, 1 cup (100g) chopped pecans,
- Drizzle sweetened condensed evenly over the filling. Use a fork to gently push the condensed milk down into the filling. It doesn't have to look perfect!1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Bake in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown along the edges. Cool in the pan until it's safe to handle. You can slice and serve the bars warm or room temperature. They'll be extra soft and chewy when they're warm, but a bit more difficult to slice.