This mushroom pasta is ready in under 30 minutes, AND is super light and easy to make! It makes for a PERFECT weeknight dinner.
Whenever I need a quick and filling meal, my go to is almost always pasta. I love pasta, and this one is my absolute favorite. The base sauce for this recipe comes together in the time it takes to boil your pasta, so dinner can be ready in under 15 minutes! Even better, the mushroom sauce only uses 5 ingredients.
This recipe can easily be made vegetarian and vegan. You can make this spaghetti vegetarian by either leaving out the grated cheese, or using a vegetarian parmesan or Pecorino Romano. To make this pasta vegan, you can use vegan pasta and a vegan grated cheese.
Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- 10 ounces spaghetti, linguini, or similar shape
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in your pasta and cook according to package instructions. You can also work on the mushroom sauce while the pasta cooks. Once cooked, reserve about 1 cup of pasta water. Drain your pasta and set aside.
- In a wide saucepan with high sides, add olive oil, red onion, and a pinch of salt. Place over medium heat.. Cook on medium heat until the onion turns translucent and just starts to brown (about 2 to 4 minutes).
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add sliced mushrooms to the pan along with another pinch of salt. Cook the mushrooms until all the liquid from the mushrooms cooks out, and you get a light golden color on the mushrooms (about 5 minutes). Add oregano to the pan and toast for about 1 minute.
- Remove your pan from the heat and add in your cooked pasta, ¾ cup of pasta water, and cheese (if using). Toss together to incorporate everything. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper if needed. If your pasta seems dry, add in another splash of the pasta water until it reaches your desired consistency!
Leave a Comment