The perfect summer dessert: refreshing, cool, and no need to turn on your oven! This custard tart features a simple stovetop pastry cream, with a quick and easy graham cracker crust using only 3 ingredients!
If you’re signed up for our email list, you may have heard me mention a few times that summer is my least favorite season. Pretty unpopular opinion, and I almost always get a funny look from someone when I say it out loud lol
As a perpetual sunburn-er, and someone who sneezes for some reason when the sun hits my face, safe to say I’m a fall/winter gal. BUT despite that long (
and boring) speech, what I am a fan of is summer baking – or in this case, not baking. Plus summer fruits are my jam! (haha get it? jam.)
So basically, fruit tarts are what help see me through summer, and I’m here for it! And this fruit tart is especially my favorite.
Low effort, no bake, and a burst of summer flavor!
No bake tart ingredients:
• graham crackers: the main ingredient for the crust!
• butter: to help set the crust and the pastry filling
• milk: the main body of the custard
• cornstarch: to thicken the filling
• sugar: a hint for the crust for added sweetness and for the pastry filling
• egg yolks: for the pastry filling. I love making meringue cookies with the leftover egg whites!
• vanilla extract: optional, but always recommended!
• fresh fruits & whipped cream: use any fruits you like to top your tart! I love strawberries and blueberries, so that’s what I went with. You can also use blackberries, raspberries, kiwis, mangos, etc. if you have them on hand. The whipped cream is optional, but it adds an extra *oomph*
How to make a no bake tart:
1. Make the graham cracker crust. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until combined, and press into a pie or tart pan. Chill until ready to use.
2. Make the pastry filling. Prep a heat safe bowl with butter and vanilla, and set aside.
3. Heat milk in pot. Heat just until it starts to steam and bubbles along the edges.
3. Combine egg yolks, cornstarch, and sugar. Whisk until combined.
4. Gradually combine hot milk and egg mixture. Slowly incorporate the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking well after each addition.
5. Cook pastry cream. Strain the milk/egg mix back into your pot. Cook, stirring constantly, until it starts to boil and thickens.
6. Pour into heat safe bowl with butter/vanilla. Whisk until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
7. Cool before filling. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the pastry cream, and cool completely to room temperature.
8. Fill & chill. Fill the graham cracker crust with the pastry cream. Smoothen, and chill for 4 hours, or until completely set.
Slice & serve!
No bake tart storage:
It’s important to keep this tart stored in your fridge so it doesn’t start to soften and crumble! Wrap tightly, and it should keep for up to 1 week in the fridge.
Check out these other recipes!
No Bake Fruit Tart Recipe
For the graham cracker crust:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For the vanilla pastry cream:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 & 1/4 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Make the graham cracker crust: In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter. Mix together until the crumbs are well moistened with the butter, and it starts to stick together.
- Pour the crumb mixture into the base of a 9 inch pie plate or tart pan. Firmly pack the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. It's important to press it in as firmly as you can to prevent crumbling! Pop the crust into your fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
- Make the pastry filling: Place butter and vanilla into a heat safe bowl, and set aside.
- Pour your milk into a large saucepan. Set the pan over medium-high heat, and warm the milk until it starts to bubble along the edges. Set aside to prep the egg mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Whisk together until combined and smooth.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture. Make sure to move slowly and whisk well after each addition to prevent cooking the eggs!
- Strain the milk and egg mixture back into a large saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat, and cook, whisking constantly, until it boils and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the hot custard into your heat safe bowl with the butter and vanilla. Whisk until the butter is melted and you're left with a smooth mixture.
- Cover the custard with plastic wrap touching the surface of the custard (to prevent a skin from forming). Set aside to cool completely to room temperature.
- Assemble your tart: Pour the cooled custard into your graham cracker crust, and smoothen the top. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, or until the custard is set enough to slice. (Optional) Top the tart with whipped cream and fresh fruit before slicing and serving.