This chicken salad makes for a quick and flavorful lunch recipe! It features an easy homemade chicken breast recipe that comes together in minutes. Crispy lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, croutons, and chicken are tossed together in a simple vinaigrette!
This is my absolute favorite chicken salad recipe around! It makes a great lunch, side, snack, or appetizer and is perfect for make ahead meals.
This recipe does call for making the chicken from scratch. And although I find it comes together incredibly quickly and easily, you can even save time by using store-bought rotisserie chicken!
5 ingredients and a simple vinaigrette later, and you'll have yourself a winning lunch!
If you liked this chicken salad recipe, check out some of these similar recipes!
• homemade croutons (if you want to make your own!)
• herb roasted chicken (if you'd like another flavor packed chicken for this salad)
• 5 minute cucumber salad (equally healthy and even quicker!)
• baked chicken parmesan
Oregano Chicken Salad Recipe
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about ½ pound each * see notes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup plain croutons
- Make the chicken: Pat both sides of your chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with oregano, salt and pepper, and set aside to prep the skillet.
- Drizzle your olive oil into the bottom of a large skillet. Heat the skillet over medium heat until warmed. Gently lower the chicken breasts into the hot pan. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on the first side, or until lightly browned.
- Flip the chicken breasts, then cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes on the other side or until the chicken is cooked through. The chicken should register an internal temperature of at least 165°F and the juices should run clear. Set aside the chicken to rest and cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Set aside.
- Make the salad: In a large bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, and croutons. Slice your cooled chicken into 1 inch strips and add to the bowl as well.
- Pour the vinaigrette over your salad and toss to coat everything in the dressing. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve right away to prevent having the croutons soften.