Elevate your chocolate chip cookie game by adding crunchy bites of Oreo! These extra thick cookies come together using my favorite (albeit weird) super easy method for making cookies at home.
If you think chocolate chip cookies are delicious, wait until you try adding Oreo pieces into the mix!
These babies are nothing short of mouthwatering. You've got cookies and cream flavor with tons of texture, while still maintaining the classic chewy cookie texture we know and love! Literally the best cookies you could ask for.
Heaven is a place on earth and it's in cookie form.
What makes these cookies the best?
A few features in these cookies set them apart from just any CCC!
• no softening / melting butter!
• thick and chewy
• crispy bites of Oreos
• cookies & cream flavor
chocolate chip cookies without softened butter?
Yes, it's weird, but this is my favorite method for making any sort of chocolate chip cookie - so stay with me!
This recipe uses cubed butter (it can be cold, room temperature, or anything in between!) which we cut into the dry ingredients (kind of like how you make pie dough.
The difference is, instead of aiming for big, flakey pieces of butter, here you want the butter to be as fine and crumbly as you can get it.
Oreo chocolate chip cookie ingredients
• cornstarch: for perfectly chewy cookies that don't overspread!
• baking soda
• butter: both cold and room temperature butter will yield perfectly delicious cookies, but the temperature will impact how soft your cookie dough is. If you find the cookie dough is too soft, you can pop the dough in the fridge for about 1 hour to firm up before scooping
• granulated and brown sugar
• milk: I love using a bit of milk in cookies (instead of using all eggs). The milk adds a softer and slightly cakier feel to the cookies. In other words: pure perfection!
• chocolate chips / chunks: I always use chocolate chunks in cookies if I have it on hand just because I'm OBSESSED with melty pools of chocolate!
how to make Oreo chocolate chip cookies
1. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Try to get the butter pieces as small as possible! In the photo below, those large pieces you see are just the mixture sticking together (not huge pieces of butter!)
2. Whisk together wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients + fold in chocolate & Oreo chunks.
4. Scoop cookie portions onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly press the cookie dough down to flatten so that it bakes evenly. This cookie dough doesn't spread as much as classic chocolate chip cookie dough.
5. Bake & cool cookies! Cool the cookies for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet so that they firm up enough to transfer. Move the cookies onto a wire rack and set aside to cool before serving! You could enjoy these cookies warm or at room temperature.
Oreo chocolate chip cookie storage
Keep the cookies stored in an airtight container or plastic bag. The less air hitting the cookies, the longer they'll stay soft and chewy!
These cookies will keep for 1 to 2 weeks at room temperature. I don't personally recommend storing cookies in the fridge just because it doesn't really do much to extend their shelf life and you also need to set them out at room temperature to let them soften again.
Check out these other cookie recipes!
Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 3 & ½ cups (420g) all-purpose flour, spoon and leveled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks / 225g) unsalted butter, cut into cubes *see notes
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60mL) milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 & ¼ cups (215g / 7oz) chocolate chips or chunks
- 15 Oreos, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and cubed butter.3 & ½ cups (420g) all-purpose flour,, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 cup (2 sticks / 225g) unsalted butter,
- Using a fork, pastry cutter, or just your hands, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is very fine and you no longer have any pieces of butter larger the about the size of a pea. The smaller you can get the butter, the better! Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combined granulated and brown sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.½ cup (100g) granulated sugar, 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar,, 1 large egg, ¼ cup (60mL) milk, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pour the wet ingredients over the butter mixture. Mix together until you have a thick cookie dough. If the cookie dough is too soft, mix in a bit more flour (1 tablespoon at a time) until firm enough to scoop.
- Add your chocolate chips and Oreos to the plain cookie dough, and fold together until combined.1 & ¼ cups (215g / 7oz) chocolate chips or chunks, 15 Oreos,
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion out your cookie dough, and drop the scoops onto your parchment lined baking sheet (leaving at least 2 inches distance between each cookie dough ball). Gently press each ball of dough down slightly to ensure even spreading.
- Bake in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 12 to 18 minutes, or until lightly golden brown along the edges. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer onto a wire rack and set aside to cool before enjoying!