Combining pizza and cinnamon rolls to make pizza rolls! This recipes features a super soft and fluffy homemade pizza dough, rolled together with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. This is a super fun way to switch up pizza night, and you can also get creative with the fillings!
If you’re bored of plain old pizza, then boy do I have the recipe for you!
These pizza rolls are such a fun project that you can make for yourself, with kids, or at a birthday party! And they somehow taste better than regular pizza.
Don’t ask me how. It’s kind of like how different pasta shapes somehow taste different even if you’re using the same sauce. Does any one else get that?
Okay, I feel like I’m rambling. Onto the recipeeee →
Pizza rolls ingredients:
• water: it should be body temperature (so about 105°F if you want to get technical). I never use a thermometer to check my water, just because I’ve gotten a feel for how hot the water should be. You can check the temperature by dipping your finger in the water, and you shouldn’t really be able to feel the water.
• sugar: for the yeast to feed off
• yeast: active dry or instant both work fine here. Use whatever you have on hand!
• flour: for the dough and the knead and shape it as well
• salt: to season
• olive oil: for flavor, and to oil your bowl for the dough to rise!
• pizza sauce: you can use store bought or your can make your own pizza sauce at home!
• mozzarella cheese: use freshly grated for the best flavor! Pre-grated cheese doesn’t melt as nicely!
How to make pizza rolls:
1. Proof yeast. Combine water, yeast, and sugar. Set aside until foamy.
2. Make the dough. Add flour, salt, and oil to the yeast mixture. Knead until the dough comes together into a smooth and elastic ball (about 5 to 10 minutes).
3. Proof dough. Cover, and set aside the dough for 30 minutes, or until about doubled in size.
4. Shape the rolls. Turn the risen dough onto a floured work surface. Roll into a rectangle and fill with your sauce and cheese. Roll into a log, then slice into 12 rolls.
5. Bake! Arrange the rolls on your baking sheet and bake until golden!
Pizza roll filling options:
I kept my pizza rolls plain with just red pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. If you’re looking for more filling ideas, here are a few!
• white pizza sauce (instead of the red sauce)
• mix up the cheese! Use mozzarella, cheddar, gouda, Monterey Jack, a combination, or whatever you like!
• more add ins. On top of the sauce and cheese, you can also add some classic pizza fixings like pepperoni, bell pepper, jalapeño (if you’re feeling spicy!), mushrooms, red onion, olives, pineapple (I’m on team “No pineapple on pizza” but do you!), spinach, and more!
Check out these similar recipes!
Pizza Rolls Recipe
For the pizza dough:
- 1 & 1/4 cups lukewarm water, at around 105°F
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 & 1/2 teaspoons active dry or instant yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading and shaping
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the pizza roll filling:
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- pizza sauce * see notes
- any additional pizza toppings you like (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk to combine, and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy on top.
- Add your flour, salt, and oil to the yeast mixture. Stir together until it starts to come together into a rough dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed, until you have a smooth and elastic ball of dough.
- Lightly oil your bowl, and place the dough in the bowl. Turn to coat all the sides in the oil. Cover, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes, or until about doubled in size.Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Turn the risen dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll it out into a rough rectangle that's about 12×24 inches large. Spread your pizza sauce onto the surface of the dough, and sprinkle with your cheese, as well as any other toppings you like.
- Working on the long side, roll the dough up tightly into a 12 inch long log. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 12 equal rolls. Arrange the rolls in your parchment lined baking sheet, cut side up.
- Bake the pizza rolls in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool slightly before serving!