Rich and fudgy don't even begin to describe these brownies! They're the perfect mixture of dense, airy, and moist, with classic brownie crackly tops.
I posted a story on Instagram a while back asking for some recipe inspiration (because I. was. in. a. creative. slump!) And y'all did NOT disappoint!
One of the recipe ideas I got was to make a fudgy red velvet brownie recipe - and I'm so happy to be sharing the recipe with you all today!
This makes an amazing Mother's day dessert, but it's also great for Christmas, Valentine's day, Father's day... any day really!
Red velvet brownies ingredients:
• sugar: a mixture of brown and granulated sugar is what gives these brownies the perfect mix of moist centers and crispy edges!
• eggs: I'm usually the first to forget to use room temperature ingredients in recipes, and you can typically get away with it. But this recipe NEEDS room temperature eggs, otherwise it can cause the butter to harden and clump
• vanilla extract
• food coloring: you can use liquid or gel. You'll need slightly more if using liquid because the color isn't as concentrated and strong
• white vinegar: a classic ingredient for red velvet anything. It helps brighten the color and yields an airier texture
• cocoa powder: juuuuuuusssst enough to flavor, but not so much that it drowns out the red color!
• baking soda: some recipes don't like to include this, but I LOVE the texture it creates. It makes the brownies extra fudgy with a subtle hint of airiness
How to make red velvet brownies:
1. Melt butter.
2. Add both sugars to hot butter. It's important to make sure the butter is still piping hot because this helps yield a crackly top to the brownies!
3. Whisk together remaining wet ingredients with the butter/sugar.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
5. Pour into baking pan & bake. The brownies are ready when a skewer inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean of batter, but still has a few moist crumbs.
6. Cool before slicing and serving. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling enough to handle. Slice, and serve warm or at room temperature!
Enjoy plain or make red velvet brownies with cream cheese frosting!
Check out these other recipes!
Red Velvet Brownies Recipe
- ½ cup (1 stick / 115g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 & ½ teaspoons red liquid food coloring, or 1 teaspoon red gel food coloring * see notes
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ¾ cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper (leaving a bit of paper hanging up the sides of the pan to make it easier to pull the brownies out). Set aside.
- In a small saucepot, heat butter over medium-high heat until fully melted and it just starts to sizzle. Add the granulated and brown sugar to the butter white it's still hot, and mix to moisten the sugars.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add in the eggs, vanilla, food coloring, and vinegar. Whisk to combine.
- Add your flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix together until just combined. Take care not to over mix.
- Pour the red velvet brownie batter into your prepared baking pan, and spread into an even layer. Bake in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean of any batter but with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then lift out and transfer to a wire rack. Cool the brownies enough to handle before slicing and serving! Enjoy warm or at room temperature.