Rice and Vegetables Recipe
Description: This rice with veggies is a simple but flavorful meal that you can whip up in around 30 minutes. You can also double the vegetables and use whole wheat rice to make this even healthier!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: serves 4
– 1 & 1/2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed and drained * See Notes
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely minced
– 1 medium red pepper, chopped
– 1 medium carrot, chopped
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 3 cups cold water ** See Notes
– 1 teaspoon salt
1. Place your rice in a fine mesh strainer. Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear to remove as much starch as possible from the surface of the rice. Set aside to drain.
2. In a medium saucepan, add olive oil and place the pan on medium heat for about a minute to heat the oil. Add your onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it turns translucent.
Tip: For added flavor and color, I really like to brown my onion here when I have the time!
3. Add your red pepper, carrot, and peas to the pot. Cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat to soften the vegetables slightly and to defrost the peas.
4. Add your drained rice to the veggies. Toss the rice and cook for 30 seconds just to toast the rice and to coat it in the oil.
5. Pour your water into the pot and add salt. Raise heat to high and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover the rice with a lid, leaving it slightly ajar to let steam escape. Simmer the rice for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
If you find your rice has finished cooking but you still have some water left in the pot, pour out the excess water to prevent the rice from overcooking.
6. Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork. Serve.
* You can also substitute white rice with whole grain rice for a healthier rice meal. Whole wheat rice does take a bit longer to cook, so you may need to leave it an extra 10 minutes or so.
** For added flavor, you can substitute the water with vegetable, chicken, or beef stock.
I would love to hear any tips you’d like to add to this post and how your rice and veggies turned out in the comments below!
Have any questions? Any ideas to improve this recipe? Feel free to comment for that as well.
Is there a recipe you want to see us make? Comment below and let us know!