Switch up your standard taco night and make shrimp tacos instead! These tacos cook up in under 10 minutes, and make the perfect weeknight meal.
My family used to take taco Tuesday incredibly seriously when I was growing up.
Who am I kidding? We still do.
Regular tacos took over taco Tuesday while shrimp tacos became a staple during Taco Thursday. It’s a good thing there weren’t any other days of the week that start with T or we may have never eaten anything other than tacos.
I’m kidding. Sort of.
But seriously, you’ve GOT to try these shrimp tacos! If you’ve never had shrimp tacos before, then get on the taco train because this ought to be your next weeknight dinner!
No marinating needed. Easily make your own taco spice blend at home. The shrimp cooks in around 5 minutes. Everyone can assemble their own taco to their own liking. What’s not to love??
Shrimp taco ingredients:
To make shrimp tacos, you’ll of course need shrimp, oil, and tortillas (you can use either corn or flour tortillas). On top of that, you’ll need spices to season your shrimp, and whatever toppings you like to add.
The shrimp taco seasoning is inspired by the seasoning for our skillet spicy shrimp. For the spices, you’ll need:
• chili powder
• garlic powder
• salt and pepper
*Unpopular opinion* I don’t really like adding ground cumin to my shrimp tacos. I feel like the flavor is way too strong for my taste in this recipe. If you do like cumin, feel free to add it. But I’m steering clear of it!
When it comes to actually assembling your tacos, you can add in whatever you like! The recipe below goes over my favorite way to assemble my tacos. I personally like to add:
• red onion
• sour cream
You can use those add-ins, or your own combination! Other add-in options include:
• pico de gallo
• shredded cheese
• tomatoes … and more!
How to make shrimp tacos:
1. Season your shrimp. Toss shrimp with all of the spices.
2. Cook in skillet. It should take about 5 minutes start to finish.
3. Assemble your tacos!
It’s THAT easy. Are you starting to see why this is such a family favorite?
Plus assembly is so much fun! So if you have kids or adults who act like kids (I’m the latter), it’s a real hoot!
If you liked these shrimp tacos, check out some of these other recipes!
Shrimp Tacos Recipe
For the shrimp seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon (each) salt and pepper
For the tacos:
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, tails removed, and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 small tortillas (corn or flour) * see notes
- chopped lettuce
- diced red onion
- diced avocado
- sour cream … or your choice of additions ** see notes for other ideas!
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Pat your shrimp dry with a paper towel, and place in a small bowl. Sprinkle spice mix over the shrimp and toss to coat. Set aside to prep your skillet.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and swirl the skillet to cover the bottom with oil. Add your spiced shrimp into the skillet and arrange into an even layer. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Assemble your tacos with shrimp and your choice of add-ins! I like to add lettuce, red onion, avocado, and a dollop of sour cream.