Sharing my favorite spice blend for shrimp that’s fully customizable to suit all heat preferences! Ready in under 10 minutes, this shrimp recipe can be used as a main for dinner, an appetizer, or even for shrimp tacos.
This is THE BEST shrimp recipe if you’re bored of all the other shrimp recipes!
I mean, don’t get me wrong. I love shrimp scampi more than anyone, but it can get a little boring!
But in walks this spicy shrimp! It’s got a nice kick to it (thanks to the chili powder) and has a whole host of other spices to give it tons of flavor with less time and effort than shrimp scampi!
It ALSO comes together in a flash, so it’s great for a fancy weeknight meal, appetizer, or for making shrimp tacos (my favorite)!
Spicy shrimp ingredients:
• shrimp: the star of the show!
• butter & olive oil: I use a combination for added flavor! The olive oil adds it’s own flavor but it also helps keep the butter from browning or burning! I use the oil to cook my shrimp and then a knob of butter later on for richness!
• fresh garlic: I’ve tried making this recipe with garlic powder, but I did like the flavor of the fresh garlic more
• paprika: for flavor and color!
• celery salt: If you take one thing away from this post, it’s to go and buy yourself a small bag of celery salt!! A little goes a long way but it adds a uniquely peppery flavor to the shrimp that is just perfection! (If you’re looking for more ways to use it, it’s also great with pasta and lasagna!)
• chili powder: for some HEAT! You can add a touch more if you really want some kick or a touch less for milder heat
• oregano: for an herby tone!
• salt & pepper: to season
How to make spicy shrimp:
This recipe is so so easy to make, you can break it up into 3 easy steps!
1. Cook shrimp. Sear in some olive oil on both sides. Create a small well in the center of the skillet by moving the shrimp to the sides.
2. Add butter and garlic to the center. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
3. Add remaining spices. Toss shrimp to coat in spices and garlic butter.
What to serve with spicy shrimp:
Because of how flavor packed this shrimp is, I like to pair it with a simpler side. Some of my favorite pairings for this recipe are:
If you liked this spicy shrimp, check out some of these other recipes!
Skillet Spicy Shrimp Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20 medium sized shrimps)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, depending on your heat preference
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large, heavy duty skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, and swirl the skillet to coat the bottom. Add the shrimp into the skillet and arrange in one even layer. Cook for about 4 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the shrimp is pink, but not 100% cooked through.
- Make a well in the center of the skillet by moving the shrimp to the edges. Add your butter and garlic into the center of the pan, and cook for about 1 minute, or until the butter is fragrant.
- Add in the chili powder, paprika, celery salt, oregano, and salt and pepper. Toss the shrimp to coat in the garlic, butter, and spices. The shrimp should be cooked all the way through by now, but if it isn't, just continue cooking it on medium until fully cooked.