Take your lemonade game up 10 notches with this sparkling blueberry lemonade! It’s a non alcoholic drink, so everyone can enjoy this fizzy, flavorful, and refreshing treat!
When life gives you lemons, you make sparkling blueberry lemonade!
This drink checks all the boxes for an amazing summer recipe:
• and most importantly, delicious!
Before we get into the recipe, let’s go over some of the details!
Sparkling blueberry lemonade ingredients:
• blueberries: we use blueberries in 2 different ways. First, we mash some blueberries to release their juice. That step is a must, or your drink just won’t get that beautiful purplish blueberry color and it won’t release as much flavor! The second use is optional, and that’s to add a few whole, frozen blueberries to the glass. Frozen blueberries would work like ice cubes and keep your drink cool, but they won’t melt and dilute it!
• lemon juice: not much of a lemonade without lemon!
• sparkling water: this puts the “sparkling” in sparkling blueberry lemonade! If you don’t have any on hand, some substitutes include club soda, seltzer, tonic water, or really any carbonated drink without any strong flavor. Keep in mind though that some carbonated drinks have more sugar than others (I’m looking at you tonic water), so do keep that in mind when sweetening your drinks.
• simple syrup: this is just equal parts boiling water and granulated sugar whisked together until the sugar dissolves. It’s entirely to taste, so add as much or as little as you like
• ice cubes: if you don’t want to include frozen blueberries, or if you just want an extra icy drink, add a few ice cubes as well!
How to make sparkling blueberry lemonade:
1. Mash blueberries. You can do this with a fork, a blender, a masher, whatever you have on hand. I used the beater attachment from my electric mixer xP Not the most graceful option, but it gets the job done!
2. (Optional) Prepare glasses. Dip the rims of your cups in some water, then roll in some granulated sugar. Set aside.
3. Combine ingredients. You can combine your ingredients in a separate bowl, and ladle the drink into cups, or just assemble in your cups directly. Combine mashed blueberries, lemon juice, syrup, and sparkling water.
4. Mix and serve! Mix your drink, and serve on top of frozen blueberries or ice. You can strain the mashed blueberries or serve with them included.
* NOTE: the longer you let the lemonade sit, the more vibrant the blueberry color will be! But don’t let it sit for more than about 6 hours or it will start to lose some of it’s fizziness.
Check out these other recipes!
Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade Recipe
- 1 cup fresh blueberries * see notes on using frozen
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 1 to 2 medium sized lemons)
- 4 cups cold sparkling water
- simple syrup, to taste ** see notes
- frozen blueberries and/or ice cubes, for serving
- Roughly mash your blueberries into a pulp to release their juices. You can do this with a fork, potato masher, blender, whatever you have on hand. I placed my blueberries in a jar and mashed them with the beater attachment from my electric mixer. To each their own, right?
- Combine your mashed blueberries, lemon juice, sparkling water, and syrup. You can do this in a bowl and then ladle your drink into cups, or you can do this in the cups directly.
- Mix, and serve your drinks over some frozen blueberries and/or ice cubes!You can serve your drinks with the mashed blueberries, or strain them out. The longer you let your drink sit with the blueberry pulp, the more colored and flavorful it'll get! But don't let the drinks sit for more than about 6 hours or they'll start go flat.