These light and airy fresh strawberry cupcakes offer a subtle and refreshing pop of berry flavor in every bite. 100% natural flavor with no need for cake mixes or boxed flavoring!
This recipe is 100% a result of me finding the CUTEST strawberries I've ever seen at the store a few weeks ago and deciding I wanted to find a recipe to make with them.
Seriously, they were so tiny and adorable!!
And that my friends is how this strawberry cupcake recipe (and this strawberry ermine frosting recipe) came to be!
So thank you, adorable strawberries, for introducing me to my summer love for the rest of the season.
strawberry cupcakes ingredients:
• baking powder + baking soda: a combination yields a softer, fluffier cupcake that can make a pillow jealous!
• strawberry purée: you'll need a total of ½ a cup of purée, which is about 1 cup of whole strawberries blended
• sour cream / yogurt: either one works fine in this recipe. Sour cream will just add more richness and flavor
• food coloring: optional. Use if you want a more vibrant pink color! The photos you see in this post are from a batch I made using added food coloring
• your choice of frosting: you can use any frosting you like! A few options include cream cheese frosting, vanilla buttercream, or chocolate buttercream. I used strawberry ermine frosting for mine this time around!
how to make strawberry cupcakes:
1. Whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar together.
3. Whisk egg into butter/sugar mix.
4. Add wet ingredients to the butter/sugar mix. Whisk to combine.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined. Take care not to over mix!
6. Portion & bake.
7. Cool & frost! Cool for about 10 minutes in the tin, then transfer onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely before frosting.
strawberry cupcake storage:
Keep your cupcakes stored in an airtight container, and they should keep for up to 4 days at room temperature or a week in the fridge. They will firm up slightly if you store them in the fridge, so if you prefer a softer cupcake, let it sit out for about 30 minutes at room temperature to soften again before serving.
Check out these other recipes!
• Blackberry Cupcakes
• Dairy-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
• Blueberry Muffins
• Black Forest Cupcakes
Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 & ½ cups (180g) all-purpose flour, spoon and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick / 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup (120mL) strawberry purée * see notes
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pink food coloring (optional - add until you reach your preferred shade)
- your choice of frosting (I used strawberry ermine frosting) ** see notes
- Preheat you oven to 350°F. Line a 12 count cupcake tin with paper liners, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside to prep the wet ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Using an electric mixer fitted with the beater attachment or using a whisk by hand, cream together the butter and sugar together until you no longer see any dry sugar and the mixture fluffs up. This will take about 1 to 2 minutes with the electric mixer set on medium speed, or 2 to 3 minutes by hand.
- Add the egg to your butter/sugar mix, and beat until combined. Mix in your strawberry purée, sour cream, vanilla, and food coloring (if using).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and fold together until just combined. Take care not to over mix.
- Portion the batter into your cupcake tin, filling each cup about ⅔ of the way full. Bake the cupcakes in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool your cupcakes in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely to room temperature before frosting.
- Make your favorite frosting, and frost your cooled cupcakes. (Optional) Decorate the tops with more fresh strawberries!
Leave a Comment