Tomato & Mushroom Spaghetti
This tomato and mushroom spaghetti comes together in under 30 minutes and only requires a handful of simple ingredients! It’s perfect for a regular ole’ weeknight meal or a special occasion dinner!
Looking for date night ideas or a Valentine’s day recipe for a date night in? Ooorrr just looking for a simple, easy, delicious, flavor-packed dinner?
Well this tomato and mushroom spaghetti fits the bill!
This pasta recipe is super quick and easy to prepare, but it looks stunning on a plate!
The mushroom sauce is also naturally vegan! So use vegan pasta and omit the cheese (or use vegan parmesan) to make this recipe vegan friendly!
I don’t think I can explain how much I love this pasta recipe. I mean, just writing this post is making me hungry for another plate of it!
I consider myself something of a pasta connoisseur, so it really means something when I say that this is the BEST pasta I have EVER had!
The amount of flavor packed into something so simple is still astonishing to me. Most of that comes from a bit of a unique way of cooking the garlic.
Instead of adding the garlic in at the beginning with the onion (like we usually do when making recipes with onion and garlic), it’s actually added at the very end and cooked for just ONE minute!
That means all of the beautiful spicy yet sweet garlic flavor doesn’t cook out into basically nothing!
Serve this alone or with a side of chicken with white wine sauce. Either way, it’s a keeper!
Looking for a side for your spaghetti? Here are some of our favorites!
If you liked this mushroom pasta, check out some of these other dinner recipes!
Tomato & Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces button or Cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced or left whole * see notes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, canned or fresh (either works fine)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional for topping)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional for topping)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in your spaghetti and cook according to the package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water for the sauce. Drain and set aside the spaghetti.
- In a large skillet, combine olive oil and your diced onion. Place the skillet over medium heat and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onion softens and turns translucent.
- Crank the heat up slightly to medium-high, and add in the mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened and golden brown. They also shouldn't be releasing as much liquid.
- Add your oregano and tomatoes. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down and softened. If the sauce seems too dry, add a splash of the reserved pasta water to get it to your desired consistency. Add the garlic in at the end and let it cook for an additional minute.
- Plate your spaghetti and top with the mushroom sauce! Serve with your favorite toppings (I always go with Parmesan and chopped parsley).