Ultra rich and fudgy brownies + Turtles candy = brownie perfection! This recipe features my FAVORITE base brownie recipe with caramel and pecans dotted throughout. It has all the flavor of the classic Turtles candy, and more!
Turtles are one of my favorite candies to enjoy around the holidays (right up there with Ferrero Rocher!). Soooooooooo, why not make brownies inspired by this perfect treat??
This recipe features a rich, fudgy and moist brownie base with THE classic Turtles mix-ins, pecans and caramel chips!
Turtles brownies ingredients:
• brown sugar: we’re using 100% brown sugar today! You can use granulated sugar in a pinch, but brown sugar is just more caramel-y and Turtles-y. Plus it yields and extra chewy and moist brownie, which is always welcome!
• cocoa powder: no melting chocolate needed for this base brownie batter!
• baking soda
• caramel chips: some people have had trouble finding caramel chips in store – which makes no sense to me …. like helllloooo??? Priorities!? I’ve made these brownies with butterscotch chips with success. You can use basically anything with a caramel like flavor, or even leave them out entirely – but then you’d be making pecan brownies. Perfectly tasty, but not exactly Turtles
• caramel sauce: optional, but oh so good with these brownies! I mean we’re making TURTLES BROWNIES. Might as well go all out, right??
How to make Turtles brownies:
1. Melt butter. I like to melt it in a pot, but you can also melt your butter in the microwave.
2. Combine butter and sugar. The butter should still be hot! Hot butter mixed with sugar helps contribute to the crackly top and the overall chewy texture of the brownie. Whisk to combine.
3. Add eggs and vanilla. Whisk together.
4. Add all remaining ingredients. Fold together all of the dry ingredients and mix-ins until just combined.
5. Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean of any wet batter, but with a few moist crumbs – that’s the telltale sign for perfectly moist, NOT DRY brownies!
6. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature before slicing.
7. (Optional) Drizzle with caramel sauce!
Turtles brownies storage:
I don’t know anyone who’s actually needed to store brownies – they’re usually gone by day 1. But if you’re making some ahead, or just can’t finish it all off in one go, here’s how to store them!
Place in a plastic bag or airtight container, or tightly wrap with plastic wrap to keep them as fresh as possible. Brownies will keep for about 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the fridge.
To freeze brownies, store in a freezer bag and they should keep for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge or for a few hours on your countertop before serving!
Check out these other recipes!
Turtles Brownies Recipe
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup caramel chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- caramel sauce, (optional – for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a bit going up the sides to make it easier to pull out the baked brownie. Set aside.
- Place butter in a small saucepot and heat over medium heat until melted. While the butter is still hot, pour it into a large bowl along with your sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter/sugar mix, and whisk together until incorporated.
- Add your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, caramel chips, and pecans to the butter mixture. Fold everything together until you no longer see any streaks of dry ingredients. Take care not to over mix.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared baking dish, and spread into an even layer. (Optional) Sprinkle more pecans and caramel chips on top. Bake your brownies in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffed and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean of any batter, but with a few wet crumbs.
- Cool the brownie in the baking dish for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature. Slice your brownies, and enjoy!