This crunchy, buttery topping will elevate almost any baked good! Use this simple streusel topping for muffins, cakes, pies, sweet breads, sweet casseroles, or whatever else you like!
Servings 2 cups (approx.)
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar * see notes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
In a large bowl, combine all of the streusel ingredients together. Mash together with a fork until you're left with crumbly mixture that sticks together when you pinch it with your fingers. You also shouldn't see any visible streaks of flour or butter.
Sprinkle on top of muffins, cakes, or whatever else you like before baking. Bake as you normally would.
* You can use granulated or brown sugar, or a combination of the two. Just keep in mind that streusel made with brown sugar (or a higher ratio of brown sugar) will soften quicker than streusel made with granulated sugar (because of the molasses).
If you plan on baking and serving your streusel baked good the same day, you don't really need to worry about that. If you're looking for streusel that keeps crispy longer, use more granulated sugar.
If your streusel does soften, you can re-crisp it by re-baking your streusel topped treat in the center of a preheated 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until crisp.