Pumpkin Sheet Cake Recipe
Looking for a super easy pumpkin recipe to make? Then this cake is the perfect recipe to try! It's jam packed with fall flavors, super soft and tender, and makes a beautiful fall dessert. It makes an especially great Thanksgiving dessert!
Servings 12 slices (approx.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups packed brown sugar, light or dark * see notes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or any other neutral flavored oil (i.e. peanut, canola, mazola, etc.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree, about 2 cups total
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- your choice of frosting ** see notes
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish (or you can line it with parchment paper), and set aside.
In a medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine, and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. Whisk to incorporate. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix together until just combined.
Pour your cake batter into your prepared baking dish. Bake in the center of your preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool your cake completely before frosting!
* I like using all brown sugar in my cake because it adds more flavor and yields an ultra moist cake! If you prefer, you can use granulated sugar, or a combination of the two. The more granulated sugar you use, the more caramelized and crispy the outer crust will be.
** Cream cheese frosting is traditional for pumpkin cake, but you can use any frosting recipe you like! The best frosting for pumpkin cake is something either neutral flavored (like vanilla buttercream or chocolate buttercream), or anything with similar flavors in the cake (like brown sugar frosting or cinnamon spiced frosting).